Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions

In recent years, I haven't been too big on new year's resolutions. I remember making some growing up, and not really looking at them much past January 15th or so.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely have a consistent desire to be a better person, husband and father...I just haven't put it down on paper. I definitely want to read my Bible more, and pray more, but those seem so hard to define since I don't want to be legalistic about it...

Anyway, for 2009, I have some concrete measurable resolutions. Some of them are as follows:

Read through the Bible, but this time I'm using the NLT. Want to join me? Go to http://www.oneyearbibleblog.com/ and sign up. It's free and though trite, it's true...reading God's Word every day will change your life. I've always striven to have a "quiet time" but I'm tired of trying to come up with some fresh approach every day. It's been years since I did this the last time.

Get in shape! This is my year! Jaime & I have sort of set a goal statement for this year: no new children and no moves! ;) We'd love to have another child in a few years, preferably adoption, but for now, we're viewing 2009 as a year for stabilization. (and asking the Lord to stabilize it for us!) And after serving at Preston Road C of C for 13 years, my tenure at the last 2 congregations I've worked with is an average of 30 months. Not ideal.

To help us regain our senses around eating/exercising, Jaime is forming a Biggest Loser Club in the spirit of the TV show. Go to http://www.journalforjaime.blogspot.com/ for more info.

I am tempted to make a goal about our finances. I love all of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace stuff...but with two mortgages right now, I'm going to leave it as "improve my stewardship of the abundant resources God has given us." We just can't abide by all of his principles right at the moment. Anyone know anyone moving to Indy? Got a great house on almost an acre!

Got a resolution you want to share?

No comments: