Monday, January 5, 2009

Moving Forward

I have been at Otter Creek for almost 3 months now. This church already feels like home to us, and I am grateful to God for His abundant provision...truly more than Jaime or I could have ever asked or imagined.

Here's one observation I've had since arriving here mid October....

There have been three instances in the corporate worship assembly where a member has come forward during the song after the sermon to ask the church for prayers.

I just want to say PRAISE GOD for the way this church responds in those instances. Jaime & I were talking about this...and this is the way it ought to be... At Otter Creek, when someone comes forward, you don't really know exactly who is coming forward because of the MOB of people around the responder, hugging and holding and supporting them. It's so incredible! I love the way our church family does that.

And better yet...people STAY with the person who responds. It's not just a hug and a "well wish". They sit with them the remainder of the service and usually it means they get to share communion together.

THEN, after church, just prepare to stand in line for a while if you want to hug the responder, because they again will be mobbed by this church family.

I've been in churches where eventually people will come down after someone responds, which is great, much better than it was years ago in most churches of Christ.

But at Otter Creek, it's like INSTANT...it's like a movement of the Holy Spirit of God activating the forces of love and encouragement...saying..."They stepped out, they're making a move, GET TO THEM AND SURROUND THEM...be my hands and feet..." It just occurred to me that it's the whole Prodigal Son idea. And while he was still a long way off, his father RAN TO HIM and HUGGED HIM etc. (Thank you Fred E. for bringing that up yesterday in your prayer.)

Awesome. Healing and growth and encouragement flows freely here.

2 comments:

Zac said...

God is good all the time, All the time God is good! He is truly moving in some amazing ways and it's so encouraging to see the spirit at work in this church family. Thank You for being a blessing in just the short time you have been at OC! God is using so many people to be a conduit and vessel in His kingdom

Alice said...

I am glad to be there, too, and glad for what you bring to the worship. Our crowd said at lunch how tricky it can be to handle the song service when there are responders, and how well you and the praise team were able to acclimate. I think it's important to surround people with music of truth and hope. And I love knowing that when I need support,and we all will, these people are going to be there.

I want to have your family out to Pleasant View soon--maybe when I get well!