Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Desert Song

Hey everyone,
We sang "Desert Song" from Zoe's new Inside Out CD, released last October. Accomplished songwriter Brooke Fraser wrote Desert Song, and as usual, Zoe did a great job at creating an a cappella arrangement as an option for churches in our heritage.

I got one comment that the words were great (which I agree totally) but the arrangement took this person back to the "old fashioned c of c" feel...The person said further that they just felt flat after we sang it.

I'm not crazy about the melody line and feel of the chorus without instruments, but I want the song to stay in our repertoire b/c of its meaning...

Thoughts?


1 comment:

Eric Livingston said...

I'm not sure how that song is reminiscent of CofC songs of old. I think the arrangement is not anything like old CofC hymns.

I like the song a lot, but I think this is one that just doesn't translate very well to a cappella singing. Any melody with constant syncopation doesn't seem to work very well when there aren't instruments to carry the sense of beat. For me, this song goes on the long list of songs that I like theologically, but don't lead in a cappella congregational worship. We did use this song in a video during a sermon series on being in the desert, "In Between". That usage of the song was well received.