Monday, March 23, 2009

Stories of Faith & Eli

On a recent road trip to IN Faith was displaying frequent defiant and disrespectful talk and I had had enough. I firmly told her that she was not to talk to me that way and that if she did it again I would pull the van over. She replied, "O--KAAAAY (in a very sarcastic tone), she waited a second and said, "NOW PULL THE VAN OVER!!"

Clearly, I need to work on clarifying what happens if I have to pull the van over.

I wanted to reply back, but I looked at Jaime and we both busted out laughing! We were in shock!!!

And Eli has actually started praying now...I can't believe it...I saw it first last night at the dinner table. He bowed his little head and folded his hands and was moving his lips...then abruptly said "men!" raising one hand in triumph. It was the most adorable thing ever.

Then at bedtime, he wanted to pray again... It went like this....."God. (little pause) Men. (Amen)". I think that simple prayer brought a big smile to God's face. It sure did ours!!! Isn't that all we need to do most of the time? "God, I'm here, that's it, Amen."

I'll post about my date with Faith to the cupcake cafe later this week...

5 comments:

Katherine said...

what a sweet prayer!

I've been wanting to record some of Nelson's prayers for some time -- but you don't really want to jump up just as hey start praying and say, "hang on, let me get the camera"

When Nelson says the Lord's prayer, he asks god to "deliver us from the EAGLE one" :)

The Speck family said...

That Faith story cracks us up every time we think about it....she is such a cutie cute. And that sweet Eli is just precious. I single-handedly ate all of Jaime's amazing salsa in like 2 days......your wife is such an amazing cook!

Murray Sanderson said...

Katherine, that is just the best! I love that Nelson is saying the Lord's Prayer! You guys are terrific parents.

Eric Livingston said...

That's a great prayer! Sounds like your kids are learning how to dwell in the presence of the Lord, even when words need not be spoken. What a blessing! I should do more of that. Sometimes my words get in the way.

Take care.

The Houston's said...

That is crazy-Harper says the same exact prayer. God...Amen. Do you think that's how they pray at school? :) When we are really hungry, we let her say the prayer!
-Heidi