Friday, December 12, 2008

Honoring God's Name

Jaime & I are trying to prevent Faith (and Eli eventually) from saying "oh my gosh" or any casual or dishonorable variation of God's name...such as g, geez, gee wiz, gosh, gah, golly...

You may think I've gone over the zealous edge or something, and I know many Christians who drop these words casually. But I also know many other of our friends are trying to do the same thing, to keep the name of our holy and awesome God high and lifted up...

But it's not easy, just today, Faith & Eli were taking in an early morning cartoon in between our book reading time and our game time...so we flipped over to Mickey Mouse on PBS Sprout (Comcast On Demand). Before we got 3 minutes into the cartoon, Mickey said "oh my gosh" so I paused it for a moment and asked Faith is she noticed anything. She did not. I told her what Mickey said. (I wish you could have seen the look on her face. Like, "and your point is?")

A few minutes later, Pluto or Goofy, not sure which one or even if it matters, busts out with the same phrase, "oh my gosh". This time, Faith caught it, and announced proudly to me that Pluto had just said the forbidden phrase.

I affirmed her for noticing, and reemphasized the importance of God's name.

Do I ever slip up and say "oh my gosh"? Sure. But I fight it, and I sure don't want Faith & Eli to imitate me in that vocabulary.

My point: take a listen as you go about your day. God's name is being taken in vain right and left. Let's take a call to action and see if there are ways you can treat God's name with greater honor, greater respect and reverence. (and encourage others to do the same)

Call on His name, to be sure, all throughout the day. But always in a way that honors Him and shows Him that you love Him, and fear Him.

5 comments:

Donna said...

You are so right - the "phrases" are everywhere. Mickey has to be the worst. We have battled it with kids Austin's age saying it and we've had to explain to him that that's just not okay with us.
Hang in there!

Cyndi said...

Hi Murray! Long time! I will admit that I say gosh all the time, but I am a huge advocate of people never saying Oh My God. I HATE IT. I even wrote a post about it a while back. This new craze, "OMG", especially frazzles me. I have banned it from my classroom. Just the other day a student asked if she could write it in a story, and I said no way. And some of the worst offenders I know are my Christian friends.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for starting young... Debi said we did the same kind of thing when our boys were young (it was so long ago I couldn't remember, but she could!). Praise God for your teaching.

Anonymous said...

We have that battle too...a lot of friends, children & adults, say that, but "our family does not." And another one Shelby picked up, and now Hayden too, is "What the heck?" Arrggh!! How did that happen? From High School Musical 1, thank you very much! I'm sure at school too. I just want to protect my almost 2 year old's ears so she won't hear any of these phrases and repeat them!

Anonymous said...

That comment is from me, Sarah, not Jeff. I couldn't get my password to work!